Saturday, May 03, 2014

Damasutra - Singapore's First Kendama Contest

So it's been awhile now, but what started out as a small fad has become...well...a small fad. But within this small group of players, a couple have been wanting to find a way to test themselves and see where they stand locally in the Kendama scene. So after some thought, KendamaSG along with KendamaSG organized Singapore's first Kendama contest - Damasutra


I had initially planned to joined their ladder challenge but for some reason got drafted by the Tier into all contests...yay me.

Needless to say I'm not there yet la, especially with the freestyle category. The ladder was pretty exciting, I knew everything except lighthouse was a bitch to land, especially when you have trembling hands trying to keep the ken still on top of the ball!

A lot of the players did rather well though, and it's good to see that many have been practicing for this contest (I admittedly only started watching the videos and practicing the night before, and I realised I was learning the wrong tricks!).

I didn't document the contest though, just took a few shots while it was still bright. It was great getting to know new faces in the scene, people like The Killer Gerbil (graffiti artist), Aaron, Adam, and another Aaron, the founder of the Tree Potatoes (formerly from Wah! Banana). The best thing I liked about the competition is that it was all fun and games, no huge tension, just a lot of nonsense and good sport being demonstrated during the contest.









By the time we wrapped things up and closed the shop, it was about 9:30pm, so for food, Colin, Hans, Hwee and I ended up at a Korean chicken joint next Duxton for dinner - Chicken Up.


This joint basically has a Korean fried chicken buffet...sounds sinful already right? We've been wanting to try it for some time but we couldn't find a time to go, and since it was late, we figured why not...go do a "field report" of the place.







Overall, I'm really liking the chicken, though I'd say the best to get is their original and soy wings, the rest you can forgo. I think we ate our money's worth...not to mention we also shared watermelon juice mixed with soju. We had the alcohol set aside so Hans and I could pour selectively since we were both going to have to drive later on.

Good dinner, great contest in the afternoon, not to mention the run I had in the morning. Labor day was well spent.

No comments: