Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Hong Kong Day 2 - Shenzhen & Dining at Bo Innovation

Day 2 in Hong Kong. I've been told by a few people that if I ever go to Hong Kong, I should do a stopover at Shen Zhen for some shopping. I never understood why, maybe cause I'm not much of a shopper to begin with. I figured though, since I wanted to expand my itinerary, I might as well check it out.

Getting into Shen Zhen is fairly simple as a Singaporean, no visas necessary, you just bring your passport and go through as usual.

Once in, I found myself at Luohu Port, where I then took a train down to the shopping district at Laojie to have a look.


The place truly is filled with malls, enough malls to keep a lady satisfied for a day's worth of shopping I think. As a guy though, there wasn't much to do I think? Like I said, I wasn't keen on shopping anyways,


I did take the opportunity to snack though, scallops with tung hoon and curry squid tentacles were the order for that morning. It was cheap and good, no complaints here, almost every stall were selling the same thing, so I just randomly picked one to try.






The next stop was to Shenzhen's tech paradise, where you can get electronics for cheap. I had no where else to go, so I scheduled time to visit the place located near Huaxin train station. I didn't really grab photos though, there were a few malls, I visited the one called Suning, and the insides felt like walking through an online store such as Sunsky.

I didn't really shop though, just went to see how some of the products look, viewing it via website and in personal are two totally different things. It was rather boring since I wasn't sure what I wanted to buy, but it was still an interesting experience, you really are spoilt for choice.


Lunch was at some random stall again, serving roasted meats and preserved vegetables, it wasn't much, I had no clue what was good in Shenzhen to dine anyway. So after a seemingly fruitless visit to Shenzhen, I took the train back to Hong Kong and washed up in the hotel. I was planning to visit their museum which was quite a distance away, but I had little time and so far the trip was pretty anti-climax I just decided to leave.


Bo Innovation, on the other hand, was another level of experience..."shiok!" would be a good word to put it.

I was introduced to this place by Colin who said I should try it considering how much I love food. The price was pretty steep, but I decided YOLO, and made a reservation.


Instead of bread, egglets were used as a carb substitute, filled with a savoury mixture of chives, butter and what not.


I had initially planned on ordering the degustation menu, but decided to go for the Chef Table menu since it was the only one available and I didn't want to miss out on it. The menu below, followed by the dishes, are in order.
























I really like Bo Innovation, it's different from Gunther's or Les Amis which I've been to. The main thing being their dishes are so different. In Gunther's for example, you get an expensive version of a dish you're pretty familiar with, while in Bo Innovation, you get a dish which looks nothing like it's original counterpart despite the name...the Lap Mei Fan was one of the coolest for me. It looked nothing like wax sausage claypot rice, but the ice cream (yes ice cream!) that was served was infused with the main ingredient, while rice crisps replace the grains, and the entire thing was encased in what I believe was meringue...good stuff!


The entire bill went up to about S$435. That's without wine pairing. The entire meal lasted more than 2 hours, with the chef explaining every dish and engaging int conversation with you about their food.

I have to say, dining at Bo Innovation was quite a treat, it certainly blew my wallet but heck, it was worth trying once.

Day 2 was saved thanks to dinner, great experience indeed.

No comments: