Good run today, I didn't do much and just had a short near-4km run around the track at a slow pace before the track closed.
I did wanted to take some running shots and decided to give the EM1's Continuous AF a test to see how well it performs. The previous EM5 apparently wasn't that good at CAF and the 450D I owned, let's just say it's terrible.
The above shot was taken at 1/1000 shutter at f1.4 and iso 1000.
At 50% and 100% crops, the CAF was spot on, hitting the target. I don't have a succession of photos, so sorry I'm not really writing a formal review here so I'm lazy to post it.
***Quick follow up, I have added an entry with the succession shots for one of the images I took for those who may be interested. Link: Olympus OM-D E-M1 - Continuous Shot Succession
I can say though at decent daylight, my hit rate was at about 95%, with 5% of the time it bugged out and blurred altogether, which happened I think during one set of burst.
The above shot was taken at 1/800 shutter at f1.4 and iso 4000.
As it got dark, shooting became a little more challenging. I would say the CAF hit rate went down every so slightly, I will say 1 out of 10 shots were out of focus? But perhaps it still felt more like a 92-93% hit rate.
Soon it got too dark to shoot at the side, so I went under the stadium light and continued with the photos.
I would say overall, I'm really happy with the EM1, I read about the CAF being a lot better than the EM5 but never bothered much about this feature because it never worked for me on the 450D, but after today, I'm really glad to have this feature I didn't even know how to appreciate previously...damn, what an awesome feature when it works right, and on the EM1, it works right almost all the time!
I didn't participate in the Yasso 800 due to my knee, but I did a slow run of about almost 4km until the lights in the stadium started to turn off. The knee didn't hurt, which was a good thing, I'll see if I should try another slow run again over the weekend.
Good session today, something different for a change, glad to have been part of it, glad that the OMD was up to the challenge.













2 comments:
the OMD AF is really in its own class for mirror less cameras!
Yeah man, cause the EM10 shares the same sensor as the EM5, I hope it's the processor that affects CAF and not the sensor. Just found out on the EM10 the CAF burst is just 3.5fps instead of 6 like on the EM1 too.
Post a Comment