Sunday, June 17, 2012

Ubin Trippin'

About over a week back, some of the runners from the New Balance group decided to have a bike out at Ubin.


I haven't really explored the more leisure side of Ubin before, and had spent the past few trips there riding the trails, so I figured it'd be a good opportunity to see what else Ubin had to offer beside the Black Diamond routes at Ketam Mountain Bike Trail.





Among the group, there were Din, Jack, Eunice, Eve, and Serene. Since I was the only one who brought my bike along, the rest decided to rent a few, Eunice and Din sharing a tandem cause its been awhile since Eunice pedaled a bicycle.





I never brought my DSLR to Ubin before for obvious reasons (OOPS BIG TIME!!! I did bring it! LINK), it's difficult to lug it around especially when tackling the trails, but since I was sporting a sling bag and a lot less gear, I decided what the heck, and managed to take a few shots I liked, including the garden and that cat above which was lazying on a chair until the sound of my shutter woke it up....oops?






Since Eve too wasn't experienced with a bicycle, and it was difficult to get Din and Eunice's tandem bike on the trails, we stuck to tarmac, and headed towards the trails direction first just to see where the road led to besides...well...besides the trails.


I was surprised to see a lot more stalls open on Sunday. The past few times we came here, they were closed, I guess Saturdays weren't as popular to the general public as compared to Sundays.


Our first corner led us to a sort of road block, so instead of continuing, we stopped to take group photos instead.


I like the above photo, it was so candid. Eve about to strike a pose, Eunice and Serene readying a smile for the camera, Din and Jack looking like deers in the headlight. =D



We later headed off and found ourselves at a drink stop, where coconuts were the refreshment of choice!



For $2.50 a coconut, I thought it was pretty decent, I believe Bugis sold them at $3 a piece, but of course, Bugis is a more touristy location as compared to...well...Ubin.

After our drinks, we headed to the other part of the trails, and even managed to try out one of the routes...in reverse. =P

We did stop by one of the locations overlooking a quarry, and as usual, the camera came out once more.



After a few shots, we were back heading towards another part of the island where Din mentioned that there was a beach area we could check out.

I wouldn't call it a beach-beach, more of a secluded part of Ubin that had sand and sea...ok la a beach.

A mini-beach. There.

So since there weren't much to see along that beach, we ended up fooling around instead.






By the time we were done, it was about 12:30, Serene had to go to church so we headed back for lunch.

We did stop at another pickup truck nearby selling drinks to get some refreshments and even posed for more snaps...this trip was beginning to feel more like a 1-day vacation...lol



The place we went for lunch was a stall next to the one I'd normally eat with the No Trails No Thrills bike group. This one served up fried rice and mee goreng. I think they serve cze char too but we didn't go for those stuff except for a plate of kampong chicken =)






By the time we were done, it was pretty late, and so we hurriedly took the next boat out so Serene could rush off for church.

While on the boat, Eve and I chat up with a group of retired gentlemen, who told us a story of how they bumped into a wild boar while hiking in the forest that morning, and they had invaded a hiker's backpack, rummaging through his things which included an iPad! They even had pictures to prove it. lol

After the boat ride, Eve found out that the gentleman we were chatting with was a former Member of Parliament! At this point, I can't remember the name already...and to be honest, I had already forgotten his name by the time I had reached my car to put my bicycle...sorry la, I'm bad with chinese names...=(


The former MP is the guy in the blue cap by the way.

All in all, today's trip was pretty awesome. =)

No comments: