Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The 2012 Macbook Pro is Out!

So the new Macbook Pro is out, and as always, it's freaking awesome in both the design and performance department.

Note that, however, the biggest change is only to their 15 inch model, and their existing unibody 13 and 15 inch MBPs are still being sold with a higher spec bump.


Hardware

Apple's really proud of their new retina display and although it's really good, I still think it's more than necessary, sure the older displays may not be sharper, but I've never found myself spotting pixels from the distance I've used my current MBP. Don't get me wrong, you can never go wrong with a better display, but would it be weird of me to say that I'm more excited with its leap in battery tech and fan noise reduction? I actually appreciate that over a high res screen! =D

The specs of the device has (naturally) been bumped up, it's a freaking power house, as with most high end laptops actually, but if you want OSX over Windows, this is it, and it's great!


Money!

Price wise though, you can see that the retina display MBP costs a hellava lot more...nearly SGD$3,000 for the lower spec model...and while it's still high spec than my early 2011 15 inch MBP, it's storage space is the deal breaker, at 256gb...even with all that raw power and media capabilities, there's not much space to store anything....and you can't upgrade! The high spec version, however, at 512gb, does allow you an upgrade to 768gb...but then you'll have to fork out SGD$4,500 for that option!!! I've currently used up 500gb of my existing hdd so you can see why the retina display model is nice, but doesn't really appeal to me due to its price.

Buy no Buy?

I could always go for the regular 15 inch model...but honestly I don't have to...I do less media than I did a few years back so while that's all good, maybe I'll save my money for now and wait for better things to come.

Side Note

Aside from the MBP, a lot of people were excited about this WWDC, rumors of a new iMac, Apple TV, MBP, iPad 7 inch and iPhone were coming from left right center. I can see how some may be disappointed cause all we were left with is a preview of iOS6 and the new MBP, and while I can sympathize, I'm glad Apple didn't release that many products in one go...it's just not Apple-like...or at least, the Steve Jobs way...there's still 6 more months to go, and there's definitely going to be a new iPhone and most likely a better iMac, spread that out and it's a least another 2 more surprises every 3 months so hang in there, there's more to come, just not now. =)

No comments: