Monday, November 23, 2015

Google Nexus 6P


So after 2 years, I finally decided to upgrade my phone.

The plan was to upgrade it every year given the low price of the Nexus line, but when last year's Nexus 6 was HUGE, and cost as much as an iPhone, I decided to pass, plus I wasn't too keen on the build.

This year however, since there were two Nexus phone, and with the price brought back down to the range I wanted, all that I had left was to choose between the 5X or the 6P.

Personally I would have preferred the size of the 5X but in terms of specs, the 6P would be able to last 2 years and perform better should I skip a purchase again in 2016.


Size bump aside, and apart from the front firing speakers which is honestly life changing (why don't phone manufacturers do this more often? I don't recall this being patented), the camera quality is something I can really appreciate coming from the older Nexus 5. iPhones have generally enjoyed great photography but in 2015, it's good to see more Android phones keep pace.



Below are shots taken in various conditions and I can say I'm really happy thus far. None are post edited.

Indoor low light, shopping mall had its lights turned off as it was only 7am. Auto HDR

Same as above. Auto HDR

Back light washed out sky, but still manageable.HDR

Indoor with mall lights on. HDR

Indoor regular living room lighting. No HDR

Outdoor sheltered. No HDR

Indoor Florescent. No HDR

Indoor incandescent light. No HDR

Indoor incandescent light. No HDR

Besides the rear shooter, the front is pretty awesome too, 8mp, and wide angle, I'm not a selfie person, but when I do, I take a photo of my cat and I indoors.


Why no iPhone? Really boils down to price, After a lot of reading and user reviews from Android users, I am convinced that I can handle an iPhone now that iOS9 has a lot of the functions I want in a phone, but to put into perspective.

Nexus 6P 64gb - $899
iPhone 6S+ 64gb - $1,388

Overall I've no regrets with the phone, glad with the purchase!

No comments: