Sunday, August 30, 2015

Spinworkx Showcase #8 - Messing with Strobes

Cause Colin was in HK and Al was in JB, Saturday's Spinworkx Showcase saw only me going down to snap photos of the mini contest.

Initially, I had thought of just shooting without flash but figured it'll lead to no where if I didn't start learning to use the gear and fly solo without any supervision from Colin and Al.

So I went for a basic 2 strobe setup, and had my Yongnuo up on a shoot through umbrella while I had my olympus tied to the back for rim lighting, using a BFT instead of a grid so as to give it more spread from top to bottom, without spilling towards the crowd.


Honestly, it really depended on where the subject was standing to achieve the best result, but overall I thought I did okie, really happy with quite a few of the outcomes.

Cause the space was more open, I resorted to a 45mm (90mm equal) to shoot most of the stuff, while my 25mm (50mm equal) captured photos that had a lot of movement (offstring mostly).










Overall I'm pretty pleased with the results! My favorite shot? The one of Ian, where he was standing on a spot that allowed the spread of light from the umbrella and rim to hit both sides evenly.


Personally? It was a good day. =)

No comments: