Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Duncan KL Road Trip 2014 - Day 0.5 & 1


So as I had mentioned earlier, I was out of town over the weekend in KL to check out the Duncan Malaysia International Yo-yo Open 2014 contest that was being organized by a few of the senior players whom I've known since I started playing back in 1998.

The contest was more for the kids, I was there to do a little catching up and go on an eat-fest!

We had hired a mini bus that drove us all the way to our destination, and upon arrival, the first two meals of the day were Wonton and Beef noodles!



By the time we turned in, it was 3am, and after a much better sleep on the hotel, we were up at 10 to head for breakfast at a nearby food stall that served a mean Drunken Chicken Noodle.




I don't think any of us were prepared for what's to come, cause the soup was so rich in Chinese wine, it was practically going up our nostrils as we drank the broth!

It was a strong dish and one that is to me a bit of an acquired taste, with lesser wine, it might actually be a pretty solid meal.

After that, while the guys proceeded to the contest, Colin and I made another stop, this time at Wong Kee for roast pork. I'm not a huge roast pork person but this is now on my list of things to eat whenever in KL, especially since Meng Kee char siew is no longer operating near our hotel (bummer).


Of course the main reason why most of the kids were here was to take part in the yo-yo contest which we did visited. I didn't snap as much photos this time round, the purpose was for me to just enjoy the trip so I only took minimal snaps, here's some I liked from day 1.





Dinner was at Chinatown where Fong brought us for some good claypot bee tai bak with minced meat. They also had a roast pork dish that was damn awesome! No regrets and I hope we can make this a usual haunt too considering we are running out of food options what with stalls closing down and all.




Our last stop before calling it a day was to go for chicken wings and bbq seafood along Jalan Alor, yes it's very touristy but Fong did suggest that the seafood can be pretty fresh.

We chanced upon the corner outlet Wong Ah Wah and Colin later found out that their chicken wings are a must-try, so we did, and wow, the chicken was really tender and fresh! It's not a complicated dish at all (wings, seasoned and bbq, that's it yeah?), but cause they used fresh chicken, it was super delicious and easily falls off the bone. =)

The stingray was also another surprise, it didn't come with sambal coated over the top, just seasoning before it hit the grill, and the meat was delicious! I'm not sure if it was because it was fresh or because of the seasoning which wasn't as overpowering as sambal which you usually get locally, but it tasted great!





So far Day 1 was turning out to be a good one, we ended our day at the massage outlet opposite the beef noodle stall where we frequent, I was looking forward to it but as usual, fell asleep midway through the massage.

Overall a good start to the holiday, will blog more about Day 2 another time.

No comments: