Friday, December 13, 2013

"Picasso Baby: A Performance Art Film" By Jay-Z

I had a brief conversation with Adrian and his partner Ryan during the Jada Art celebration dinner on Wednesday about their trip to the Miami Art Basel and Jay Z's name got brought up (along with other celebrities who collect art and/or think they collect art).

It was quite interesting to find out one of my favorite rappers is a huge art collector, especially with Basquiat which quite frankly, given my less than 1% knowledge I know of the art world, I had not known about.

Warhol and Basquiat

I later found out that Jay Z had apparently done a "performance art" not too long ago and decided to check it out.



As much as I love Jay Z, I didn't think this was art at all. Sure it had a mish mash of well known people and artists come to support and "play" with him, but quite frankly it felt more like an extended hip hop MTV...pretty sure some of the personalities out there having fun on stage with Jay Z didn't really have a clue about the lyrics.

The lyrics were very mainstream, with a lot of bragging rights that went into the lines, not much deep lyrics like you'd get from songs such as "Where have you been", "This Can't Be Life" or "Hard Knock Life"

I guess the only thing I can say about the so called performance art above is that it has a lot of positive energy, but I wouldn't be too quick to call it art though.

No comments: