Friday, July 03, 2009

Houxu's Birthday

Thursday, I headed down with Xinn from school to the restaurant across the road to celebrate my youngest brother, Houxu's birthday with my parents.
I've come across this restaurant a few times...I mean, well duh, I study across the road =) But I never once walked in for lunch or dinner. The pricing was the main issue that bugged me, not exactly one for the average non-working Singaporean.
It wasn't my birthday though, and my brother wanted to try something he'd never try before.

Considering Limon being a fusion restaurant which mixes Thai and Spanish cuisine, I'd say we found the right place =)
Honestly though, the place is very small, and it was 7:30pm when we walked in, and we were the first customers! Another 3 people cam in later at around 8:15pm or so, after that no one else walked into the place...sad.

We got a few dishes going and were served a tiny Gazpacho shooter, somewhat like that same one Xinn and I had during V day, only a much smaller portion. The cold-soup shooter was meant to increase the appetite before a meal...I think? It's tomato base so I'm just making a guess here. =)
The sampler platter my brother ordered allowed him to pick 4 choices of items from the appetizers, so he went for shrip, spanish sausages potatoes and olives.

Yes. Olives.
Something I'd probably never consider when ordering appetizers, neither would my brother really, it was a one time "let's try something different" thing.
The shrimp with garlic and enoki mushrooms was a good touch, and I never got to try the spanish sausage since there were only two.
The pumpkin soup, which was for my dad, came with my brother's name on it though, weird...so like, he sampled it, then handed it back to my father to drink. =\
The main courses that came were pretty banging as well. lol. Spanish Rice was pretty good, though my dad isn't a big fan of shell fish inside his rice, I think it's cause we're so used to having out "mui fan" served without shells besides those from prawns?
The pineapple rice, which came with spanish sausages was too good lookin to be dug into, we went for the other stuff first and for the first 5 minutes, no one wanted to be responsible for ruining the "display piece"
The pan-seared chicken was good, crispy too for certain parts.
The cod fish was really pleasing as well. =)
The main highlight, which my brothe ordered, was the Lobster pasta, which really, is lobster meat served with pasta which was fried "asian" style...I don't think it was speg at all, from the taste, it's texture was closer to thick beehoon.

The lobster wasn't very fantastic if you ask me...the cod was pretty dope though.

Overall the meal was good, but not impressive to be that pricey. Pineapple rice was good, but adding a few slices of spanish sausages didn't seem to justify the price increase.

It's one interesting place to go, though not one I'd return to any time soon. =)

oh, Happy Birthday Bro

No comments: