Friday, June 26, 2009

Father and Grandfather

Richmond spoke to me awhile back and asked if I could help him install sth for his Macbook so I offered to do so.

Apparently what I didn't know was that it wasn't a Macbook Pro, but a much older model.
Enter the Powerbook G4. A clunkier, slower, but still very reliable piece of hardware.

I've never really played with a non-Intel Mac before, I'm not someone who's been a Mac head for years now, so meddling with a Powerbook was pretty new to me.
First thing I did was enter the software specifications to take a look at what's under the hood. A lot has changed since Apple went Intel with Core2Duo setups indeed.
Another minor change was the aesthetics...the Dock on the older Tiger was 2 Dimensional, while the Leopard's Dock has a more refined 3 Dimensional look.
The older G4 also didn't come with iSight, so people who wanted webcam had to buy a separate camera for that.
Mine, on the other hand, came with an extra addon, a Xinwei application. =)
Thickness is another difference between the two laptops
The older G4 had air vents located at the side of it's hard body while the Macbook pro I have has its heat sinks located behind the screen.
Under the laptop, the arrangements are also different.
The G4 runs a single hinge for the screen while the Macbook runs double, and their battery and ram compartments are also located at different points.

Overall, the Macbook Pro series, compared to the Powerbook, is a step up in terms of aesthetics and performance, Leopard was definitely a step up from the Tiger OSX, with multiple functions including the inbuilt iSight and better heat dispensing locatiions.

Still, the G4, though not as powerful as the Intel Laptops, is still a stable work powerhouse.

Looking back though, I think the only reason to up from a G4 to the Intel series would be the need to run newer softwares that only build on the Intel based Macs, other than that, their just as reliable =)

No comments: